Sophie Lion-Lutgen

Bigonville during the Battle of the Bulge

Sunday, December 17

American soldiers have been in town for several days. Yesterday, however, there was suddenly great excitement among them; trucks were dashing in all directions. In the countryside a number of German paratroopers have been captured. And today all the Americans left us. What on earth is the matter? In the evening the radio announced: “The Germans have crossed the border at Echternach and Vianden.” We are hoping that the Americans will drive them back again.

Monday, December 18

Everywhere the villagers are standing around in groups. It seems that the Germans are pushing rapidly forward. They must already be in Wilwerwiltz. All the people are packing up; nobody wants to be here when they come. Towards evening tractors with fully loaded wagons are rolling through the streets. A number of cars follow next, jammed with people, and bicycles with people hanging all over them. Most of the people who are fleeing are from Wiltz.

Tuesday, December 19

Already early in the morning it’s swarming with refugees outside. Open vans, pulled by one or two horses, with old people, women and children, with suitcases and baskets, are rattling hurriedly down the streets. People on foot laboriously pull their fully-loaded handcarts behind them. They have to travel on the shoulders, because the streets belong to the cars, the motorcycles, and the tractors. Sometimes there is a traffic jam, the streets are so full - we stand at the ‘Grippchen’, (Ed: a crossroad in town) look at it all, and rush back in the house to pack up. Oh, this excitement, this fear! Where do all these frantic people want to go? They don’t know themselves; just “farther on,” always “farther on.” And we? - All day long this flight through the town goes on. Many farmers are also leading their cattle with them. Toward evening the first villagers from Bauschleiden are coming through. Now it’s high time to make everything ready for the departure. The wagons are standing in front of the houses, and will be loaded with straw, oats, trunks and suitcases. It’s getting dark. Many evacuees from Rodershausen, Consthum and Wiltz have halted in the village to rest up a little. American tanks with lights turned out are driving down the ‘Knupp’.(Ed: the northern part of town) Are they also fleeing from the Germans? And already the news is coming in: “The Germans are in Arsdorf and Bauschleiden.” (Ed: only a few miles from Bigonville) Head over heels the new arrivals are leaving the town. The majority of our villagers are also hastily hitching up their horses to their fully loaded wagons, and are driving off in the middle of the night. We pack until 2:30 in the morning. Mother will certainly not go with us into the unknown. Three families from the neighborhood are still around. What will these folks decide? What will happen to the cattle in the sheds when everyone pulls out?

At 3:00 o’clock in the morning we go to bed. It is a frightful, fear-filled night. On and on the wagons roll through the village.

Wednesday, December 20

Early in the morning the neighbors are downstairs in the house, and we have a discussion. What’s to be done? Stay or go? Three families agree to stay here, and now finally comes a little peace and quiet. No more wagons are coming from Bauschleiden. A few more Bigonville people leave, including one of our neighbors. Evacuees from Rodershausen stay behind in his house. How quiet the streets are! The shutters are closed. The cows are mooing in their stalls. All the young men are gone, except for my brother. We urge him and urge him, and he leaves in the afternoon on his bike. Soon after, two young husbands from our neighborhood, who went away yesterday, are back. It’s a shame that my brother isn’t here any more.

In order to quiet down the cows, a young man feeds them; he has five sheds to take care of. My sister will milk the cows and feed the calves and the pigs with the milk. At about half past six we are in a shed across the street. It’s completely dark outside. Fortunately there is still electric lighting in the sheds. At about seven we put out the light in the shed and start to leave. “Don’t leave the house!” someone shouts from the street. We stand there, rooted to the spot. “We live on the other side of the street”, I reply. “Starting a half-hour ago you may not go out, or we’ll shoot.” Now we know for sure whom we are dealing with. We retreat back into the shed. In the morning the news had come from Bauschleiden; the Germans are there. In the houses where no one remained, they have stolen and wrecked everything, but they were friendly with the ones who stayed behind. Suddenly a heavy pounding on the door. I open it. A machine gun pokes inside. “Are there Americans here?” I say no. In the lamplight I discern two German soldiers, armed to the teeth. They move on. A short while later they are back again. They want to know if we’d be willing to give them some coffee. Thus we are allowed to go back to our house again. They eat with us and are glad to be in a warm place and to get something in their bellies. This is what they told us: They have come through the forest from Bauschleiden, and they’ve been in the village since six o’clock, going from house to house. Wherever people didn’t open to their knocking, they broke down the doors. They are full of amazement at the good equipment and the hearty rations of the Americans and also at the good things that they have found in Luxembourg; meat, lard, butter, eggs, brandy. They have no rations. What they needed to eat they had to take from the empty houses. They showed us the little hand grenades (Ed: the so-called “Egg grenades”, probably) with which their pockets are full. With these they had so frightened the “Amis” that they had taken to their heels so fast that they could no longer follow them. Each one has a belt of machine gun ammunition slung over his shoulder. They show us their soleless boots, and their ragged trousers.

They thank us a great deal and leave. They want to come back at eight o’clock to hear the news on the radio. Outside, however, because they had left their posts, they are bawled out so roughly by their superior officers that they forget to come back again. Shortly thereafter, trucks and tanks are rolling through the streets and infantry are marching by. How will all this turn out?

Thursday, December 21

In the morning the street has a completely different appearance. Germans everywhere. They go in and out of the empty houses. In the afternoon, two groups of infantry pull out of the village.

They have loaded blankets and groceries on two-wheeled carts, and are carrying heavy machine-guns, ammunition, picks and shovels. One group goes down the ‘Froumicht’. (Ed: an area just west of town) One man pushes in front of him a loaded baby-carriage.

As soon as not a single soldier is to be seen anywhere, we go together into several houses where the Germans had moved in. All the closet doors are open, drawers are pulled out and dumped, candy and preserve jars half-emptied. A wretched shambles on tables, chairs, and on the floor. Beside a strong-box lies a heavy blacksmith’s sledge and a broken axe. But the thing had not yielded. The cat had had to suffer the consequences. She lay next to it, dead as a door-nail.

After that we found ourselves once again feeding the animals in the abandoned sheds. We even found some increase in one of the sheds - a very beautiful little calf. We gave him the name of his owner.

In the evening the town is once again overrun with soldiers. Also four tanks, including a captured American one, have arrived. They sit in concealment behind the ends of the houses.

Friday, December 22

Something seems to be brewing. The soldiers are excited. We can hear the thunder of cannons, ever more frequent and louder. Around two o’clock the tanks drive off toward Flatzbour. Someone has reported an American tank and a jeep there. (Ed: probably the American 25th Cavalry reconnaissance team) They pull back into town after a brief skirmish. Things are getting more and more dangerous. A soldier who is quartered with us advises us not to go to bed tonight because it could get bad, so we sleep, wrapped in blankets, in the apartment.. Snow is falling outside.

Saturday, December 23

Monday is Christmas. The soldiers bring in sugar, flour, and baking pans. They want to do some baking for the holiday. In spite of this, there’s a sense of danger. We civilians huddle together, hoping and fearing. The German soldier urges us to make the cellar liveable. We carry blankets and food supplies downstairs and prepare a campsite with straw. It is arranged for the three refugees who are living in the neighbor’s house to come over into our cellar. Grandpa brings with him a pickaxe and a crowbar. You never can tell what lies ahead.

At about 12:30 the German tanks move forward. As many soldiers as possible have to go up. (Ed: to Flatzbour, presumably) Fear is in their faces. A young soldier, hardly 16 years old, rolls on the ground wailing. Only after a good talking-to by his captain does he go up. The tanks go up the Kimm (Ed: a road leading to Flatzbour) We are in the sheds when a German armored scout car goes charging up the ‘Knupp’. The deafening crack of a bursting shell fills the street. The American attack on Bigonville has begun.

We run into the cellar. Explosion after explosion follow. When they go off nearby the foundations tremble, and so do we. The soldiers come and go in the cellar. They calm us down. No direct hit would fall in here. The two houses in front would protect us. It gets to be 16:00. The cows are starting to get restless. With each shell-burst they leap up, and the horse too. We hear them clearly because they are right above us. Toward 17:30 it gets quieter. “A short pause in the battle”, says one soldier. Quickly we feed the stock. After that the horse will not let us leave the shed; he doesn’t want to be alone.

A family runs frantically down the street. Their house has taken a direct hit; all the cows are dead, and the horse is badly wounded. The people hurry into another cellar. We quickly make coffee. Hardly have we finished than artillery fire begins again. With one leap the neighbor is in our entryway; roof slate and boards are flying about him. The roof of the shed next to us has taken a hit.

Now we are once again sitting in the cellar by flickering candlelight. We talk among ourselves in order to keep our courage up. But outside the inexorable war rages on.

We try to sleep. Some succeed. The others listen into the night, their rosaries slipping through their trembling fingers. It is becoming a very long night. The explosions follow each other ever more furiously. It is utterly weird.

Two battle-weary German soldiers have decided between themselves to await the arrival of the Americans and to go into captivity. They huddle under their blankets and keep still. From time to time one goes out to check up on the situation.

Sunday, December 24

At two o’clock in the morning the firing becomes even stronger. We light the candles again. We have no more need to be sparing with them because, one way or another, we’re getting close to the end. Our nerves are stretched to the breaking point. Courage threatens to leave us. Even if we come out of here alive, the whole house and the whole village will lie in rubble and ashes.

The shooting right in front of the house has been quiet for some time. But the shell-bursts are getting twice as frequent; we have the feeling that every one will hit the house. Finally some daylight seeps through the openings in the cellar vents. The cows begin to bellow once again. But this time we don’t let ourselves weaken. From above us comes the sound of running back and forth through the barn. Both the barn doors must be open. It is quite bright up on the cellar stairs. We keep still as mice. If only it does not occur to anyone to fire shots down into the cellar.

Now we hear the American dive bombers. Will they drop their loads here? I think with horror about the bombing in Luxembourg City back on the 9th of May, 1944, which I lived through in an air-raid shelter. Already a bomb is whistling. Fearfully I wait for its detonation.. Now a second...a third...The droning moves away. Thank God. We’re still alive. 10:00 o’clock. As the heavy artillery fire slackens, the machine guns rattle more wildly. Behind the wall of every house a soldier must be standing. Whenever a shell falls, instantly the machine gun fire goes silent.

Suddenly we hear outside in front of the cellar windows a mysterious snapping (clicking) sound: slowly, then more rapidly. Are they about to blow up the house? But the German soldiers calm us. It’s the Americans who are giving signals. (Ed: with their “crickets”) In terror we recognize the smell of burning.. “The barn is on fire!” is our first thought. Immediately one of the soldiers goes up the stairs. No. There’s nothing burning at our house, but clouds of smoke are billowing through the street.

The battle is still not over. The rifle fire keeps on clattering. House after house is combed through by the Americans. By about 15:30 the Americans have pushed forward as far as the school. We all leave the cellar and run to the barn door to greet our saviors, but the soldiers, looking fierce, with bearded faces and a mysterious fire in their eyes, weapons levelled, signal us to stay inside. Danger is still threatening, both for them and for us. Terrified, we retreat back into the cellar.Once again we live through some fearful minutes as the Americans surround houses and barns in search of Germans. After that it becomes quieter. The two German soldiers in our cellar prepare themselves for captivity. One of them does this apparently with some hesitation. He says that the war is surely about to end soon, and he has a longing to see his mother. He wants to slip away. The other tries to persuade him. “Don’t make any trouble for these people! You’ll get to know America.” Finally both of them leave the cellar.

When we finally go outside at 16:00 o’clock, the Americans are in the process of carrying out the weapons search of the German soldiers who, with hands held high, are coming out from everywhere. There are perhaps 60 men in our street. (Ed: Over 300 were captured) Finally they are led away.

We look around us. In the neighbors’apartment window we see the horror-stricken faces of the little children and women. We learn that several of them had run out of the cellar into the fields, and as a result two of them were fatally struck by shell fragments.

The street presents a horrifying, wretched spectacle. Everywhere lie dead German soldiers, many terribly mangled. Cows are wandering around loose. One of them drags a piece of wood from the manger behind her on her chain. A few lie dead on the ground.

The corner of our house, and our neighbors’ as well, have taken hits. Big holes gape in the walls and roofs. The front wall of one house is demolished. Will the riddled and shattered church steeple remain standing? The ground is covered with stones, roof slate, laths, and the trash of war. Torn-up wires hang from the electric poles. Up in the village a house is burning, and the flames flare up eerily in the growing darkness. It still is not completely safe. Shells whistle overhead and gunfire resounds from nearby. The few people who have stayed here appear out in the street again. Everybody is coming face to face with the terrors of the past days. Each person has something bad to report. And nevertheless we are all happy that we have lived through it unhurt.

And tomorrow is Christmas...

Source: From 25e Anniversaire du Corps des Sapeurs-Pompiers de Bigonville. By courtesy of Sophie Lion-Lutgen. Translated from German by Bruce Burdett, 188th ECB veteran
Image: Former home of Sophie Lion-Lutgen in Bigonville, July 2012
House where Sophie Lion-Lutgen lived during the Battle of the Bulge in Bigonville, July 2012. Photo by Guy Ries.

Bondorf in der Ardennenoffensive

Sonntag, 17. Dezember

Seit einigen Tagen lagen amerikanische Soldaten im Dorf. Doch gestern gab’s plötzlich große Aufregung unter ihnen: die Wagen rasten hin und her. Im Land sollen viele deutsche Fallschirmjäger gefangen worden sein. Und heute haben uns alle Amerikaner verlassen. Was ist nur los? Am Abend meldet das Radio: Die Deutschen sind bei Echternach und Vianden über die Grenze gekommen. Wir hoffen, daß die Amerikaner sie wieder zurücktreiben werden.

Montag, 18. Dezember

Überall stehen die Dorfbewohner zusammen. Wie es scheint, rücken die Deutschen schnell vor. Sie sollen schon in Wilwerwiltz sein. Alle Leute packen ein; niemand will hier sein, wenn sie kommen. Gegen Abend rollen Traktoren mit vollgepackten Wagen die Straße hinunter. Es folgen einzelne Autos, vollgestopft mit Menschen und Fahrräder mit Anhängern. Es sind Leute aus Wiltz, die auf der Flucht sind.

Dienstag, 19. Dezember

Schon früh am morgen wimmelt es draußen von Flüchtlingen. Leiterwagen, von einem oder zwei Pferden gezogen, mit älteren Leuten, Frauen und Kindern, mit Kisten und Körben, knarren eilig die Straße hinunter; Fußgänger ziehen mühsam ihren vollbeladenen Handkarren hinter sich her. Sie müssen durch die Strassenrinne gehen, denn die Straße gehört den Autos, den Motorrädern und Traktoren. Manchmal gibt es eine Stockung, so voll sind die Straßen. - Wir stehen ‘um Grippchen’, sehen zu und laufen wieder ins Haus, um einzupacken. Oh, diese Aufregung., diese Angst! Wohin wollen alle diese gehetzten Leute? Sie wissen es selber nicht. Nur weiter, immer weiter! Und wir? - Den ganzen Tag dauert diese Flucht durch das Dorf. Manche Bauern führen auch ihr Vieh mit sich. Gegen Abend fahren die ersten Einwohner von Bauschleiden herunter. Jetzt wird es höchste Zeit, um alles zum Aufbruch bereit zu machen. Die Wagen stehen vor den Häusern und werden mit Stroh, Hafer, Kasten und Koffern beladen. Es wird dunkel. Viele Evakuierte aus Rodershausen, Consthum und Wiltz haben im Dorf Halt gemacht, um etwas auszuruhen. Da fahren amerikanische Panzerwagen mit verdunkelten Lichtern den ‘Knupp’ herunter. Flüchten auch sie vor den Deutschen? Und schon kommt die Nachricht: “Die Deutschen sind in Arsdorf und Bauschleiden.” Hals über Kopf verlassen die Angekommenen das Dorf. Auch die meisten Dorfbewohner spannen eilig die Pferde an die vollgepackten Wagen und fahren mitten in der Nacht davon. Wir packen ein bis 2.30 Uhr morgens. Doch Mutter will nicht mit ins Ungewisse. Noch sind drei Familien aus der Nachbarschaft da. Wie werden diese sich entscheiden? Was geschieht mit dem Vieh in den Ställen, wenn alle fortziehen?

Um 3 Uhr gehen wir schlafen. Es ist eine furchtbare, angstvolle Nacht. Immer noch rollen Wagen durch das Dorf.

Mittwoch, 20. Dezember

Am frühen Morgen sind die Nachbarnunten im Haus und wir beratschlagen. Was tun? Bleiben oder gehen? Drei Familien geben sich das Wort hierzubleiben, und nun kommt man ein wenig zur Ruhe. Von Bauschleiden kommen keine Wagen mehr. Noch einige Bondorfer fahren weg, auch einer unserer Nachbarn. Evakuierte aus Rodershausen bleiben in seinem Haus zurück. Wie still sind die Straßen! Die Fensterläden sind geschlossen. Die Kühe brüllen in den Ställen. - Alle Jungmänner sind fort bis auf meinen Bruder. Wir drängen und drängen, und so fährt auch er am Nachmittag mit dem Fahrrad davon. Bald darauf sind wieder zwei junge Familienväter aus der Nachbarschaft, die gestern fortgegangen waren, zurück. Schade, daß mein Bruder nicht mehr da ist.

Um die Kühe zu beruhigen, füttert ein junger Mann sie; fünf Ställe hat er zu betreuen. Meine Schwester wird die Kühe melken und die Kälber und Schweine mit der Milch füttern. Gegen halb sieben sind wir im gegenüberliegenden Stall. Ganz dunkel ist es draußen. Ein Glück, daß noch elektrisches Licht in den Ställen ist. Gegen sieben Uhr löschen wir das Licht und wollen den Stall verlassen. “Das Haus nicht verlassen!”, tönt es von der Straße. Wie angewurzelt stehen wir da. “Wir wohnen auf der anderen Seite der Straße.” entgegne ich. - “Vor einer halben Stunde dürfen sie nicht gehen, oder wir schießen.” Nun wissen wir Beschscheid, wen wir vor uns haben. Wir ziehen uns zurück in den Stall. Am Morgen war Nachricht von Bauschleiden gekommen, die Deutschen seien da. Sie hätten in den Häusern, wo niemand war, alles gestohlen und zerstört, mit den Dagebliebenen seine sie freundlich gewesen. Plötzlich ein heftiges Pochen an der Tür. Ich öffne. Ein Maschinengewehr schiebt sich zur Tür herein. “Sind Amerikaner da?” Ich verneine. Im Licht der Lampe erkenne ich zwei deutsche Soldaten, bis an die Zähne bewaffnet. Sie gehen wieder. Kurze Zeit darauf sind sie wieder da. Ob wir ihnen Kaffee geben wollten? So dürfen wir endlich heimgehen. Sie essen mit uns und sind froh, warm zu sitzen und etwas zwischen die Zähne zu bekommen. Und so erzählen sie: Sie sind von Bauschleiden durch den Wald gekommen, waren um 6 Uhr im Dorfe, gingen von Haus zu Haus. Wo man auf ihr Klopfen nicht öffnete, schlugen sie die Türen ein. Sie sind voll Bewunderung für die gute Ausrüstung und die reiche Verpflegung der Amerikaner, auch die guten Sachen, die sie in Luxemburg gefunden hätten: Fleisch, Schmalz, Butter, Eier, Branntwein. Sie hätten keine Verpflegung. Was sie zum Essen brauchten, dürften sie aus den leerstehenden Häusern nehmen. Sie zeigen uns die kleinen Handgranaten, wovon sie die Taschen voll haben. Damit würden sie den ‘Ami’ klein machen, der so schnell Reißaus nehmen würde, daß sie gar nicht mehr folgen könnten. Jeder hat eine Kette Maschinengewehrpatronen umgehängt. Sie zeigen uns ihre Stiefel ohne Sohlen, ihre zerrissenen Hosen.

Sie bedanken sich sehr und gehen. Sie wollen um acht Uhr zurückkommen, um die Nachrichten am Radio zu hören. Draußen werden sie aber dermaßen von ihren Vorgesetzten vermöbelt, weil sie ihren Posten verlassen haben, daß sie das Wiederkommen vergessen. Kurz darauf rollen Fahrzeuge und Panzer 2) durch die Straßen, auch Infanterie marschiert auf. Was soll das noch werden?

Donnerstag, 21. Dezember

Am Morgen hat die Straße ein ganz anderes Gesicht. Überall Deutsche. In den leeren Häusern gehen sie ein und aus. Am Nachmittag ziehen zwei Gruppen Infanterie zum Dorf hinaus.

Sie haben Decken und Lebensmittel auf zweirädrige Wägelchen geladen und tragen schwere Maschinengewehre, Munition, Hacken und Spaten. Eine Gruppe geht die 'Froumicht' hinunter. Einer schiebt einen vollgepackten Kinderwagen vor sich.

Da nun nirgendwo ein Soldat zu sehen ist, gehen wir zusammen in etliche Häuser, wo die Deutschen gehaust haben. Alle Schranktüren sind geöffnet, Schubladen herausgerissen und umgekippt, Konfekt- und Einmachgläser halb geleert. Ein heilloses Durcheinander auf Tischen, Stühlen und auf Böden. Bei einem Geldschrank liegen ein schwerer Schmiedehammer und eine zerfetzte Axt. Aber nachgegeben hat das Ding nicht. Die Katze mußte dafür büßen. Mausetot liegt sie daneben.

Danach finden wir uns wieder beim Füttern in den verlassenen Ställen. Zuwachs haben wir in einem Stall bekommen; ein ganz munteres Kälbchen. Wir geben ihm den Namen seines Herrn.

Am Abend ist das Dorf wieder von Soldaten überschwemmt. Auch vier Panzer, davon ein erbeuteter amerikanischer, sind angekommen. Sie stehen in Deckung hinter den Hausgiebeln.

Freitag, 22. Dezember

Es scheint sich was zusammenzubrauen. Die Soldaten sind aufgeregt. Man hört Kanonendonner, immer häufiger und lauter. Gegen 2 Uhr fahren die Panzer los bis Flatzbour. Ein amerikanischer Panzer und ein Jeep sind dort gemeldet worden. Sie ziehen sich nach einem kurzen Gefecht zurück. Es wird immer brenzliger. Ein Soldat, der bei uns in Quartier liegt, rät uns, diese Nacht nicht zu Bett zu gehen, da es schlimm werden könnte. So schlafen wir, in Decken gewickelt, in der Stube. Draußen fällt Schnee.

Samstag, 23. Dezember

Montag ist Weihnachten. Die Soldaten tragen Zucker, Mehl und Kuchenformen herbei. Sie wollen backen für das Fest. Dennoch herrscht dicke Luft. Wir Zivilisten stehen zusammen, hoffen und bangen. Der deutsche Soldat drängt darauf, den Keller wohnlich zu machen. Wir tragen Decken und Lebensmittel hinunter und machen uns ein Lager aus Stroh zurecht. Es ist abgemacht, daß die drei Flüchtlinge, die im Nachbarhaus wohnen, zu uns in den Keller kommen. Der 'Petter' bringt eine Spitzhacke und ein Brecheisen mit. Man weiß ja nicht, was uns noch bevorsteht.

Gegen 12.30 Uhr fahren die deutschen Panzer vor. So viele Soldaten wie möglich müssen hinauf. Die Angst steht in ihren Gesichtern. Ein junger Soldat, kaum 16 Jahre alt, wälzt sich schreiend auf dem Boden. Nur durch das gute Zureden des Hauptmannes steigt er auf. Die Panzer fahren den 'Kim' hinauf. Wir sind in den Ställen, als in großem Tempo ein deutscher Panzerspähwagen den 'Knupp' hinauffegt. Das ohrenbetäubende Krachen einer berstenden Granate erfüllt die Gasse. Der amerikanische Angriff auf Bondorf hat begonnen.

Wir rennen in den Keller. Einschlag auf Einschlag erfolgt. Wenn es in der Nähe kracht, erzittern die Grundmauern und wir mit. Soldaten kommen ab und zu herein. Sie beruhigen uns: hierherein würde kein Treffer fallen. Die zwei Häuser vor uns würden uns beschützen. Es wird 4 Uhr. Die Kühe beginnen unruhig zu werden. Bei jedem Granateneinschlag springen sie hoch, auch das Pferd. Man hört sie gut, da sie über uns sind.

Gegen 5.30 Uhr wird es ruhiger. "Eine kurze Kampfpause", sagt ein Soldat. Schnell füttern wir das Vieh. Das Pferd will uns nachher nicht aus dem Stall herauslassen; es möchte nicht allein bleiben.

Gehetzt läuft eine Familie die Straße hinunter. Ihr Haus hat einen Volltreffer bekommmen: alle Kühe sind tot, das Pferd ist schwer verletzt. Die Leute eilen in einen anderen Keller.

Wir kochen schnell Kaffee. Kaum sind wir fertig, da beginnt wieder Artilleriebeschuß. Mit einem Satz ist der Nachbar in unserem Hausgang; Schiefer und Bretter tanzen um ihn herum: das Dach der Nachbarställe hat einen Treffer bekommen.

Nun sitzen wir wieder im Keller beim flackernden Kerzenlicht. Wir unterhalten uns, um uns aufzumuntern. Aber draußen wütet der unerbittliche Krieg weiter.

Wir versuchen zu schlafen. Einigen gelingt es; die anderen horchen in die Nacht hinaus, während die Rosenkranzperlen durch ihre zitternden Finger gleiten. Es wird eine sehr lange Nacht. Immer toller folgen die Einschläge. Ganz unheimlich ist es.

Zwei kampfesmüde deutsche Soldaten haben sich entschlossen, die Ankunft der Amerikaner abzuwarten und in die Gefangenschaft zu gehen. Sie kriechen unter ihre Decke und verhalten sich ruhig. Von Zeit zu Zeit geht einer hinauf, um sich über die Lage zu erkundigen.

Sonntag, 24. Dezember

Um 2 Uhr morgens wird das Schießen immer heftiger. Wir zünden die Kerze wieder an. Wir brauchen nicht damit zu sparen, denn so oder so geht es jetzt zu Ende. Unsere Nerven sind aufs Höchste gespannt. Der Mut droht uns zu verlassen. Wenn wir lebendig hier herauskommen, so wird doch das ganze Haus und das ganze Dorf in Schutt und Asche liegen.

Die Abschüsse vor dem Haus schweigen seit geraumer Zeit. Doch die Einschläge verdoppeln sich; man glaaubt, alle würden das Haus treffen. Endlich dringt das Tageslicht zu den Ritzen der Kellerluke herein. Die Kühe beginnen wieder zu brüllen; doch diesmal lassen wir uns nicht erweichen. Über uns ertönt ein Hin- und Herrennen. Durch die Scheune. Beide Tore müssen offen sein; ganz hell ist es oben an der Kellertreppe. Wir verhalten uns mäuschenstill. Wenn es nur keinem einfällt, Schüsse in den Keller abzufeuern!

Nun hört man amerikanische Jagdbomber. Werden sie ihre Last hier abwerfen? Ich denke schauernd an die Bombardierung vom 9. Mai 1944 in Luxemburg, die ich in einem Luftschutzbunker miterlebt hatte. Schon pfeift eine Bombe. Voller Angst erwarte ich ihren Aufschlag. Nun eine zweite... eine dritte... Das Surren entfernt sich. Gott sei Dank, wir leben. 10 Uhr. Die schwere Artillerie schießt seltener, desto wilder knattern die Maschinengewehre. Hinter jedem Giebel muß ein Soldat stehen.Fällt eine Granate, verstummen sogleich die Gewehrschüsse.

Plötzlich hört man draußen vor der Kellerluke ein geheimnisvolles Knacken: langsame, dann schnelle Stöße. Will man das Haus sprengen? Doch die deutschen Soldaten beruhigen uns: es sind die Amerikaner, die Zeichen geben. Gegen 12 Uhr folgt schweres Artilleriefeuer. Mit Schrecken nehmen wir Brandgeruch wahr. "Die Scheune brennt", ist unser erster Gedanke. Schon ist ein Soldat die Treppe hinauf. Nein, bei uns brennt es nicht, aber Rauchschwaden ziehen durch die Straßen.

Noch ist der Kampf nicht zu Ende. In einem fort knattern die Gewehrschüsse. Haus für Haus wird von den Amerikanern durchkämmt. Um 3.30 Uhr heißt es: die Amerikaner sind bis zur Schule vorgestoßen. Wir verlassen alle den Keller und laufen in das Scheunentor, um unsere Retter zu begrüßen. Doch die Soldaten, wild aussehend, mit bärtigen Gesichtern, unheimliches Feuer in den Augen, die Waffe im Anschlag, geben uns Zeichen, drinnen zu bleiben. Es droht ja noch immer Gefahr für sie und für uns. Erschrocken ziehen wir uns in den Keller zurück. Nochmals erleben wir angstvolle Minuten, wie die Amerikaner herumballernd Haus und Scheune nach Deutschen absuchen. Danach wird es ruhiger. Die deutschen Soldaten rüsten sich für die Gefangenschaft. Der eine tut dies zwar zögernd; er meint, der Krieg sei ja doch gleich zu Ende, und er habe Sehnsucht nach seiner Mutter. Er möchte untertauchen. Der andere versucht ihn umzustimmen: "Mach den Leuten keine Unannehmlichkeiten! Du willst doch Amerika kennenlernen." Schliesslich verlassen beide den Keller.

Wie wir dann um 4 Uhr hinausgehen, sind die Amerikaner im Begriff die deutschen Gefangenen, die von überall mit hochgehobenen Armen herbeikommen, auf Waffen zu untersuchen. 60 Mann können es in unserer Straße sein. Dann werden sie abgeführt.

Wir sehen uns um. Im Stubenfenster des Nachbarn erblicken wir die von Entsetzen gezeichneten Gesichter kleiner Kinder und Frauen. Wir erfahren, daß sie zu mehreren aus dem Keller auf das Feld liefen, wobei zwei von Splittern tödlich getroffen wurden.

Die Straße bietet einen erschreckenden, trostlosen Anblick. Überall liegen tote deutsche Soldaten, manche gräßlich zugerichtet. Kühe irren verlassen umher; eine schleppt an der Kette ein Stück Holz vom der Krippe mit. Einige liegen verendet am Boden.

Die Ecke unseres Hauses, sowie die Nachbarhäuser haben Einschläge bekommen. Große Löcher klaffen in den Mauern und Dächern. Die Vorderseite einer Wohnung ist eingestürzt. Wird der zerlöcherte und zerfetzte Kirchturm noch standhalten? Der Boden ist mit Steinen, Schiefer, Latten und Kriegsmaterial bedeckt. Von den elektrischen Masten hängen zerrissene Drähte herab. Oben im Dorf brennt ein Haus. Schauerlich lodern die Flammen in die hereinbrechende Nacht. Ganz ungefährlich ist es noch nicht. Granaten pfeifen vorbei und Abschüsse ertönen aus nächster Nähe. Die wenigen Leute, die hiergeblieben sind, zeigen sich wieder auf der Straße. Allen steht der Schrecken der vergangenen Tage im Gesicht. Jeder weiß was Schlimmeres zu berichten. Und dennoch sind wir alle zufrieden, dass wir es heil überstanden haben.

Und morgen ist Weihnachten...

Quelle: Aus 25e Anniversaire du Corps des Sapeurs-Pompiers de Bigonville. Mit freundlicher Erlaubnis von Sophie Lion-Lutgen.